Saturday, October 25, 2014

Travel Time

I left my summer seasonal job in Healy, Alaska for my other summer seasonal job in McMurdo, Antarctica recently.  After 56 hours of travel time, 28 in the air, I arrived safely at Pegasus ice runway on a USAF C-17 cargo jet.   A mix of driving, flying commercial and military and riding on the Kress, got me to McMurdo.  Here's pictures of our departure in Christchurch, the USAF C-17 and landing on the Pegasus ice runway near McMurdo.

I flew from LAX to SYD on a Qantas Airbus 380.

I flew from SYD to CHC on an Emirates Boeing 777.

Checking in with all our gear in Christchurch.

The gang in line to check in.

The briefing room while many were at breakfast.

Picking up our bag lunches and loading up.

Serena, my big red, Ashley and Chris.

Trying to get comfortable enough to sleep.
It's usually about a five hour flight.

 Landing on ice in the USAF C-17.

Arriving in Antarctica.

The Kress, passenger version.

The Kress.

USAF C-17

No comments:

Post a Comment