Monday, April 21, 2014

Alaska Marine Highway to Alaska!

I'm heading to Alaska for another summer working in Denali National Park.  I drove to Bellingham, WA and caught the Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Haines.  The ferry M/V Matanuska was built in 1963, is 408' long and 74' wide with a capacity of 745 passengers and 1,760 linear feet of vehicle capacity.  I got a cabin this time as I'm getting too old and weary to be sleeping on the steel deck as I did many times as a younger man.

We had beautiful weather; clear blue skies and smooth water for an easy voyage.  Saw lots of whales and arrived on time in Haines.  Drove to Fairbanks and then down to Denali, Wasilla and onto Anchorage to house sit for friends on vacation.   I'm heading back up to Denali next week to start work with HAP (Holland America - Princess), an awesome place for a seasonal summer job!



 
 















No comments:

Post a Comment