Thursday, April 4, 2013

Alaska!

I made it!  I got to Fairbanks today.  Had an awesome drive from Seattle.  2,411 miles in 50.5 hours over 5 days. Averaged 482 miles a day and 48 mph. One bad weather day with snow and  slick roads, but the rest were just beautiful.  Clear blue skies, amazing mountain views and great wildlife sightings.

One weird thing today, a Canadian C-130 was circling overhead near Haines Junction as I drove through. Of course I had to stop and see what was going on.  After all, I deal with these kind of planes in Antarctica, so I was curious.  They came in very low and were dropping stuff out the back, but I couldn't tell what it was.

 A Canadian C-130 circling overhead.

Circling around (the moon) for another pass.

They flew right over me.

You can see the ramp is down.

Beautiful snow capped mountains along the road all day today.





Empty roads, I was surprised at the lack of traffic.

I made it to Alaska!

The Alaska pipeline crossing the Tanana River.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment