Sunday, March 31, 2013

Road Trip Basics


I started my road trip to Alaska today and it was a beautiful day for a drive, clear blue skies and 26c.  I got up early, had one of my favorite breakfasts, finished packing and loading the car and was on the road as the morning fog was lifting.  The drive along the Fraser River on Highway 1 between Hope and Cashe Creek is a favorite of mine. The river canyon hosts the highway and two busy railroad mainlines. CP Rail and Canadian National (CN).  They share the canyon with a rail line on each side of the river.  Lots of trains.  This far north there's still some snow on the ground, though the roads are clear and dry. The first day I went 525 miles in 12 hours, with lots of breaks and stops.
 
Some fog, the car's loaded and ready to go.

The open road, I-5 North.

Welcome to BC!

The quaint town of Hope.

Bridge over the Fraser River at Boston Bar.

Lots of tunnles along this part of Highway 1.

Fraser River.

Fraser River, again.

The twin railroad bridges.

A northbound train crossing the Fraser River.

The tall bridge.

Old technology.

A train on each side of the river.

A westbound coal train.

An eastbound train.

My accommodations on my first night.
A bit drafty and cool, but affordable (free)!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment