Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving & the Night Shift

Whew, what a week!  I transitioned to the night shift and survived Thanksgiving too.

Our Shuttles table at Thanksgiving.

Another view of our Thanksgiving table.

Wendy, Dave & Kelly at the next table.

Last Wednesday was my last 6 am to 6 pm day shift. Thursday was my regular day off so I tried to sleep late and stay up late.  I started the 6 pm to 6 am night shift on Sunday evening, so I had an extra day off and the Holiday weekend to transition.  I made it all the way to midnight on Thursday, not great but good enough. Slept late Friday morning and made it to 3 am Friday night, same for Saturday.  I sort of figured that if I made to 3am on Saturday, by Sunday night I could manage to stay awake and be productive until 6am.  It worked, but I have been tired and not myself recently. It’s hard to trick your body.  And while it is daylight 24/7, I’m not sure if that helps or hurts.  I love the work we do during the night shift.  There is still some driving, but there is also a lot of paperwork, computer work, analysis and allocation of resources which I really enjoy.  It’s a big puzzle with lots of variables.

Thanksgiving was Saturday here in McMurdo with our seating for the big dinner at 5pm.  It was very nice, though the C-17 with freshies didn’t make it last week, so no fresh fruit, eggs or vegetables last weekend. The Shuttles Dept had a table with 26 people at it, it reminded me of a Dillon Mock thanksgiving!  They always have a great crowd too.  The food was good and plenty of it, all the traditional dishes and great desserts too.  Went for several walks Saturday evening to try and work off some of the dinner.

It’s now Wednesday and I am off tonight. The library and coffee house are open late, so I will likely hang out there after dinner ad after my hike.  I don’t want to get off my daytime sleeping schedule so I will have to find things to do to stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment